Joining us for the first time
We suggest new runners come along to a Thursday or Saturday session as we have nominated buddies who will run with you and tell you about the club, whilst showing you the route and making sure you don’t get lost! We offer approximate 5/7.5/10km options and the buddy will run at your pace, not theirs. Most people who join us can already run/jog at least 5 km, and we also offer a couch to 5km course for complete beginners (Next intake Autumn 2018, Apps are also widely available and a good way to start). If you are an established runner then you are welcome to try our Tuesday track session.
If you decide to come along, then simply turn up. But you can also email our Co-Chairs in advance if you have any questions or just to let us know you are coming so we look out for you.
You can follow our Manchester Frontrunners Facebook Page and post to inform us you are coming or ask a question – it is a very active page and you’ll get a warm welcome from members! Our closed Facebook Group is used for all our events (socials and races) and we advise new members to join if they can. If all that isn’t enough, then we have a Twitter account so you can follow us too!
Joining the club
We advise new people to come to around 4 sessions before deciding whether to join as a member. If you decide to join the club then ask Jono Guildford for a Membership Form at a club session or email him firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer reduced membership fees for people on lower incomes, and a second claim option for people with an active membership at another England Athletics affiliated club (their first claim club):
|Membership Type||Cost for 2018/19||Benefits|
|Second Claim||£10||Training and social benefits|
Membership requires renewal each April regardless of joining date; however new members (if new to EA) joining after 1st January do not need to renew until April the following year.
- Automatic membership to England Athletics – which entitles you to UK Athletics insurance, plus a £2 discount on all races under UK Athletics rules
- Discounts in specialist running shop, e.g. both Sweatshop and Up & Running offer a 10% discount on non-sale items
- Eligibility to join the free MCR Active scheme, which gets you discounted entry to the Manchester Regional Athletics Arena at Sports City, where the club track sessions are held every Tuesday
- New members get their first MFR running vest FREE, plus the opportunity to purchase other items of MFR branded kit
- Free training sessions and sports advice/coaching
- Eligibility to represent MFR at team events such as local cross country and championship races
- Monthly Newsletter, and acceptance into the closed Facebook Group – for news, updates and chatter
- Invitation to social and activity events such as the club’s annual holiday abroad, bi-annual training weekends, camping trips in the UK, and local events such as meals, drinks, ten-pin bowling, theatre trips, countryside walks etc.